Thursday, April 24, 2008

Boscos Nashville Brewing Co.

1805 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37212

B-
/ 3.35
vibe: 3 | quality: 3.5 | service: 3 | selection: 3.5 | food: 3.5 - $$

I first heard about this place in an airline magazine listing the supposed best brewpubs in various states, so decided to check it out as I visit Nashville a few times per year. We went on a Saturday afternoon after lunch hour. The bar was small, tucked in a corner, and filled up so we grabbed a booth. The greeter appeared kind of quiet and sullen and made me wonder if I should worn something better than shorts and sandals into this place. The server was more upbeat and attentive at first, but less so after we were served.

A friend and I had the 8 beer for $8 sampler, which was hit or miss. In particular, the "stone" beer tastes little better than a Budweiser, the IPA was a corn sugary disappointment (for me, my friend liked it better) and some of the others were unremarkable. The dunkelweizen was my favorite so I ordered a pint of that, although the Irish red was the epitome of a session fightin' ale and would have been great if we decided to spend the rest of the evening here.

We also ordered a spinach and artichoke dip that was good and ample for the four of us. Beers were $4.50 a piece. The restaurant was spacious, with paintings on the walls, half of pears, half other things. I got some snobby vibes but it could have been a lot worse. Not a bad visit, probably good for a date, but not necessarily a place I'll seek out again.

No comments: