Sunday, April 27, 2008

Humboldt Red Nectar Ale

A / 4.3
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | drink: 4.5

ABV: 5.5%
Style: American Amber Ale
Purchased: $1.99/bottle at Sumdat Farmer's Market in Roanoke, VA

Pours a murky, sediment-filled auburn color with a finger of beige head that covers the glass fairly well. The unfiltered characteristic gives the impression you're drinking a homebrew, but I wish I could make 'em this good. Very jazzy label by the way.

Smell is lively, citrus hops blended with candied, buttery caramel malt. Chocolate presents itself with warmth.

Candy on the palate as well, with a chocolaty caramel flavor, and it goes very well with the citrusy hops. For me, the most distinguishing character is the chewy, tangy, and slightly bready mouthfeel. This beer definitely has it's share of specialty malts, which give it a soft, unique flavor, but it is balanced with the hops enough to be quite drinkable.

I hadn't seen this one for a couple years so I picked it up when I found it in town (at Sumdat Farmer's Market). Still impresses now as it did then. Excellent version of the style.

No comments: